Above is an image of the front page of the printed program published by the Board of Supervisors on the occasion of its opening the then new jail and sheriff's office for public inspection October, 1961.
That printed program included a page summarizing county jail history up to that point. That page's text is one of the histories in this NYCHS presentation.
Also included are Canadice Town historian John T. Hopkins' Earl Thompson's Jail and Cindy L. Allen-Tucceri's The History of the Ontario County Jail: 1789 - 1995. Completing the section are Ontario Sheriff Philip C. Povero's groundbreaking ceremonies remarks and Sgt. Dennis Cook's status report on the new jail construction.
NYCHS is honored by, and grateful to the Ontario Sheriff's Office, NYS Commission of Correction and the NYS Sheriffs Association for making available material used in this presentation.