has been housed in the county's former jail since 1961. The current county homebase for public safety is the Sheriff's Department and Jail complex, Route 31, Lyons. The facility was renovated and expanded in 1994. The original construction dates to 1961. The expanded facility has been able to house inmates from outside the county, bringing revenue from other counties and the federal government. In 1995, that revenue totaled over $325,000. Department activities includes an Inmate Work Program and security for the Wayne County Hall of Justice. The historic 1854 courthouse adjacent to the new building continues to be used.
The Newark Courier - Gazette menu of Lyons history includes articles on Sheriff Jerry Collins, the Great Train Robbery and the courthouse.
Scores of entries about convicts sentenced to Auburn Prison appear in the Criminal Evidence & Arrest Notes of Sheriff Jerry Collins web page on the excellent Wayne County GenWeb site. The Wayne County Sheriff's web page includes general contact information.
The county is bordered by the Finger Lakes region, the Genesee region, and Lake Ontario. For the entire width of the county, the Erie Canal is dotted with parks and hiking trails.
Westchester County Department of Correction. The Department, situated on the Valhalla Campus that encompasses nearly 1/2 square mile with more than 700,000 square feet of building space, is comprised of four divisions: Administration, Jail, Penitentiary and Women's Unit. The Department was formed on Jan. 1, 1969, from units of the former Sheriff's Department and the Department of Social Services and placed under a central administration with a Commissioner of Correction appointed by the County Executive. The current Correction Commissioner is also the Westchester County Probation Commissioner. That agency's main office is in White Plains.
Wyoming County Sheriff's Department. Detailed information on office organization and contact numbers.
Yates County Courthouse still stands in its maple-shaded Penn Yan park, looking much as it did when it was built in 1835. It is the second Courthouse, or third if you count Asa Cole's tavern at the corner of what is now Main Street and North Avenue. The sessions of the court were held at Cole's until a Courthouse was completed in 1825. But that burned down in 1834 and the present Courthouse was built on the same site. Behind it, facing Liberty Street, was the jail. The first Courthouse had included a jail.