|4th of 6 detail section views from Hart Island aerial photo in 1954 DOC annual report||xx||
To the left of the red letter "J" is large btrick building that housed inmate dormitories. Almost all inmate housing on Hart Island consisted of dormitories. The few cells were for inmates who presented discipline problems, often resolved by transferring them to Rikers Island.
To the right of the red letter "K" is an oval drive in front of a large cottage that served as a kind a social court that Commissioner Ann M. Kross, herself a former magistrate, initiated to attempt integrating a social services approach into adjudications of non-felony cases.
Above and to the immediate left of the red letter "L" are a few of the buildings, such as the laundry, in the island's industrial complex that included the power plant.
Veteran current and former NYC DOC staffers and others who can correct, refine, enhance and increase the information in the close-up image caption above are invited to do so. Include the close-up's virtual tour image number in your e-mail to the email@example.com
To Next View